diagram

Before the pandemic, college, and my current new sense of self, I was commuting back and forth between San Francisco and my home. This is an image of my commute home along with the Bay Area BART train map. Over the past few years, San Francisco has undergone so many changes within the environment and neighborhoods. However, our BART system has not changed, except for the addition of a longer expansion spanning towards the east bay where I currently reside. With businesses shutting down due to the pandemic and an already looming housing crisis, so much of the city has been lost. 

According to Lupton and Phillips, "diagrams often to function to illuminate and explain complex ideas" (216).  I created this piece to show the 70-mile long-distance I would have to commute with my family every day due to the home I lost and unaffordable rent prices. The BART map spans throughout this region of California. My family and I did not have to deal with this experience alone as the other cars would also prolong and create this journey into a 2 to 3-hour car ride.  I would get to do homework, study, and dream alongside my family. I use this art as a way to understand the beauty and ugly of where I grew up. As Lupton and Phillips said, "some pieces use diagrams to depict personal histories."


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts