Positive and Negative


Throughout elementary and middle school, I had an art class that would automatically deduct a grade if there were any areas of white or blank, even if our craft was purposefully created that way. Having this freedom of choice creates ambiguity and contrast allows my younger self to explore and deepen my understanding of what art means. 

The concept that stood out to me was the power of space and ground being created even if they aren't really there.  Lupton points out, "Yet visual artists become attuned to the spaces around and between elements, discovering their power to become active forms in their own right" (Lupton 209). The balance between figure and ground is able to create a new image, where you are able to notice both aspects. In my photo, even when you see the two silhouettes of a face, the symmetry is able to create a case shape. It is necessary that the shadows are bounced onto a white wall as it creates a stronger dynamic between the two.


Comments

  1. Jolly! I didn't know we were in this class together! It's really cool that you used your own shadow to create a contrast between the dark of the shadow and the white of the wall. I love that it's a symmetry too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts