Layers and transparency

According to Lupton and Phillips, "Layers are simultaneous, overlapping components of an image or sequence" (127).  Layers evoke different feelings through combinations of texture and colors that blend together. Combinations of different images share unique stories that enable a complexity to arise. 

Layers exist in the same moment. Every story examines different layers that continuously exist throughout each other. With this project in mind, I thought about what my own story is and continues to be. I utilized different methods and applications to create a new image of a chapter in my family's life that has made me who I am today. When we think about our stories, we usually focus on the memories that we have been put through. Initially, I wanted my project to include my story. Instead, I focused on the pressures and change my family went through and how it has helped the new generation in their family a chance at opportunities they never got to experience. I dug through old photo albums I have never seen and got a chance to see what life was like from the 1940s to 1980s in the Philippines of my family's household. I saw old pictures of people I never got to meet, and people who I know now that I could barely recognize then. I chose the pictures of my grandma, mom and her siblings as they were growing up and having to deal with immigrating to America.  The intricasies of life can only partly be captured in these photos. 


























Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts