time and motion

Movement in pictures to me is like a secret dance on stage caught in the middle of an act. Growing up I struggled to capture art, as movement was part of my way of expression. I found stories were more efficient in forms of the practice of hula and ballet. However, as I have learned more, I can see that stories do appear in still forms of life. 







According to Lupton and Phillips, "It can be useful to think about the screen as an active, changing surface as well as a neutral stage or support onto which characters rush on and off." (233) The dynamic of moving and stillness help support each other to instigate change. When moving on a train you are able to see the trees and outside world move at lightning speed, while the inside carriage stands still and the moon follows. This is how life functions. Time and motion are interwoven depending on what we are focusing on. We have to look at both sides, the still and the changing, to see the differences and sameness of the two. Art has shown to me that every characteristic is important and necessary to the story. Like a swaying hand gesture matching the fast paced beat of a rhythm, the same goes for the subject running towards a still point of a photograph. 


Comments

Popular Posts